"The great end in religious instruction, is not to stamp our minds upon the young, but to stir up their own….In a word, the great end is to awaken the soul; to bring understanding, conscience and heart into earnest vigorous action on religious and moral truth, to excite and cherish spiritual life."
~ William Ellery Channing
Mission and Vision
Religious Education at USNF engages children and youth with lessons, activities, community service, and events which exemplify the Eight Principles of Unitarian Universalism [PDF]. RE brings together community members of all ages to learn, grow, grapple, celebrate, love, and serve together.
Religious Education at USNF is:
- a primary hub to develop a robust and affirming sense of self, community, and faith
- a nurturing environment to become religiously literate by exploring Unitarian Universalist history, principles, and values, and gaining an appreciation of our neighboring faiths.
- an affirming community in which all members feel valued, and become invested in valuing others.
- an incubator for personal and communal work for social justice.
- a space where children and youth experience safety and radical acceptance.
- a web of support, sharing, grounding, and fun for children, youth, and families.
To register a child or youth for our faith formation program, please complete the 2023-2024 USNF Faith Formation Registration [Google form].
What happens on a Sunday morning?
Children of all ages are welcome to attend our services or our education programs. We offer early childhood through 8th grade classes from 10 am to 11 am downstairs. Once per month we offer a Service for All ages as well. When you arrive for the first time, please plan to come around 9:50 am so we can welcome you and orient you to the building and teachers. You can email
Our handicap accessible entrance is on the right side of the building, near the rear. You can ring the doorbell to come in any time between 9:30-11.
Youth in grades 9 through 12 are invited to Youth Group which meets 1-3 times per month. Please email
Masks are optional and we have masks available. Please plan to stay home if anyone in your family is feeling sick or was exposed to COVID. All of our teachers and volunteers are required to be vaccinated.
Email Jessica, our Director of Faith Development and Community Engagement, for more information:
For more information about our programs for children, youth and adults, see other pages in the "Education" section of the menu.